Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tidbits





So, I've gotten pretty bad at keeping up here. I guess life has picked up though. We've been really busy the past few weeks with trips and visitors and such. It's been really fun, but I am ready to start enjoying Flagstaff again. I never realized how much of a homebody I am. And that fact is even more strange because my "home" seems to change with the breeze. But I get attached easily. I find things to love and I hold on and make them my own. Home is what you learn to love I guess, what seeps in. We think of ourselves as "planting roots" when we settle someplace, but I think it's more like places planting roots in us. Even when/if we leave them, fragments remain in our memories and in our hearts...forever.
Part of me is a wanderer. Restless for adventure. Always wanting to taste the unknown. The other part is tired of feeling so fragmented--of loving so many "homes"...so many, some must always be longed-for.

I could stay here. I really, really could.

So, we just got back from a short camping trip yesterday. It was really fun to see family and get away from work for a bit. But it was hot, hot, hot! Trev and I got nice and bronze...no burns thankfully. I think a highlight for me was riding the ginormous raft with my mom and Stephanie! That was definitely a blast! As much as I love boating though, I'm pretty sure I'm over camping. The tent thing is really just no fun. Especially since it seems to have gone out of style in a major way. Maybe it's just a matter of being with the wrong crowd, but I definitely felt a little archaic, especially when our tent took flight in the dust storm (with all of our stuff in it, mind you) only to land on the roof of the air-conditioned, movie equipped trailer of our fellow "camp"-mates. Yeah...that really happened.
Things are always changing. Even when you don't want them to.


I am looking forward to the rest of our summer plans...although I am simultaneously wondering how I am going to afford them. It is so sad to me to think that one can work so long and so hard and still have to worry about money...every day. I am trying hard to make a mantra of the verses that talk about not worrying about tomorrow, not storing up treasure on earth, etc. Really, really trying. Pray.

Well, that's pretty much all I can say for now. I will be turning 22 in a few days now...that feels weird. I really forgot about it until July hit. I think I am past the point of birthdays being super exciting. Well, maybe not altogether. :)

Anyway, more to come...

xoxo

2 comments:

Liane Koh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liane Koh said...

Oops, I removed the other one b/c of a typo. This is what I wrote: Nelle, it looks like you're having such a blast! I am so happy for you. La, Robyn and I think about you often. I hope we get to see you soon! All the best with the children's non profit position, it sounds so great. I almost did something like that with Girls on the Run on Urban. I'll be praying for you. :)