So, being the super paranoid, needs-to-be-in-control, crazy proactive doer that I am (I just like to think of myself as a careful planner), I began applying for jobs in Flagstaff back in February. I am glad that I did this even though no one will give you the time of day when you apply for a job in a city where you do not live. I was rejected...a lot. As graduation and the move got closer (and I had a Flagstaff address to fake people out with), things started looking a little brighter. I got a few phone calls, set up a couple of interviews. It was good.
The job that appeared to be the best and most promising was a position with the local Bank of America branch. Yeah, well. At this point, lets just say, I kind of feel like I'm in one of those relationships where I have no idea what's going on. Like the guy keeps giving me signs that he likes me, but I'm not exactly sure what his intentions are. I will start from the beginning.
When I first spotted the job opening, I immediately called the branch manager to inquire after the best method of applying...considering my situation. She informed me that all BofA applicants must fill out the online application. So I did.
About a week later, I got a lovely phone message from a rather enthusiastic man informing me that they were interested. He said I should give him a call to keep the ball rolling. So I did.
After a short-but-sweet phone interview with him (so nice), he directed me to "Step 2": an online quiz (only about an hour in length) with questions like "Of these four words, which best describes you? Smart, Talented, Friendly or Lazy". I passed.
The next day, my helpful new phone-friend called to tell me the great news: I was on to step three! Step 3=another phone interview, preceded by a good amount of paperwork, including (but not limited to) information about every address I have ever lived at and details about every job I've ever had (I had to make a few calls).
Now, let me just aside for a moment to tell you that all of this was going on at the same time as pre-graduation/graduation madness. Not to mention, my lousy phone service. Picture me tippy-toed, leaning over our balcony, trying to convince these people I'm their girl! It was exhausting to say the least.
So, paperwork completed, along with a trip to my local BofA branch to inter-office the hard copies, I get the call for my next phone interview. It goes smashingly! This new phone-friend feels more like a therapist. She is super sweet and kind, encourages my ambitions and tells me she can't wait to move me on to Step 4. Step 4 means I finally get to meet with the people who actually might want to hire me, for my third interview.
So, I move to Flagstaff. Two days later, I walk into the prospective job site where I meet the manager's assistant. The manager's assistant informs me that the manager had to be away from the office that day...but not to worry, she would take care of the interview. Now, you can imagine my slight disappointment. I mean, all of that work and I wasn't even getting the chance to really strut my stuff. The interview lasted 15 minutes. It went well. I went home. A little dejected.
The next morning I get a call from the manager. Apparently her assistant thought well of me. Now, she would like to meet me. Can I come by (for interview number 5)? Sure, I would love to! So, I did.
We meet. She is nice. I think she likes me. She tells me I will get a call from phone -friend #2 by tomorrow. Phone-friend #2 calls me an hour later...but I miss the call. The message she leaves sounds promising, she says "good news!". But I don't get a hold of her until the next day. She tells me I have the job (yay!) BUT some department still needs to approve my wages...it should only take 48 hours.
Seventy-two come and go. I call the branch. I do have the job. They are still waiting for approval. "When do you think I might start?" I ask. Next week.
So, another work-less week in front of me. Maybe I will organize my closet..ooo color coordinate! Actually the baseboards look kind of dirty, I'm sure I have an old toothbrush somewhere. Seriously...this job better be worth it.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment