Monday, October 1, 2007

Doors

Today was a gift. It was my first day working with 826--a small elopement amidst the drawn-out break up with Jossey-Bass. Firstly, let me just say that, within the first five minutes, I was laughing and joking around with one of the other workers...a sense of community which I have never felt in the "grey box of isolation".
I think I mentioned already that I was asked to work with the in-schools program, so today, I went with Marisa (my 826 supervisor...who is nearly my age by the way...so cool!)to Burton High School to help seniors write their college essays. Ummm...I have found my life's passion! It was so amazing to be able to help these kids--most of whom had learned English fairly recently and as a second langauge--turn their amazing stories into writing. I cannot even explain the fulfillment. I felt absolutely in my element. To be able to serve and help and listen and share knowledge--and use writing as the means for all of this...ahhh! Not to mention the fact that I LOVE Marisa! We talked easily all afternoon, about ourselves and about 826. It was pretty fantastic.
I am so thankful for this opportunity--for all of it. To have one door closed so decisively and another opened almost without effort. I feel excited and content...at least I will once the break-up is complete.

1 comment:

Kim said...

First off, you should be so proud of me that I figured out how to get to your blog and THEN how to comment!
Secondly, you have an amazing gift with words. I've enjoyed reading all of your enteries.
And finally, I totally agree with your move as painful as the parting sounds. This definetely sounds like a perfect fit for you. To use your God given abilities, your education, and to feel that connection at the heart is a rare situation for any of us.That's how I feel about my job and it took me 20 years to get there! Just think how much you've learned in so few weeks.
I'm sorry about the break-up with the publishing company but you will survive it. Just don't think of breaking-up with that wonderful boyfriend you have! I wouldn't survive that!! Kim