Thursday, September 20, 2007

Weather Forcast

It's supposed to rain today. Because it is a Thursday and because that means that, if I want to, I can stay in comfy sweats, drink tea and stare out of windows all day, I rather hope it does. Some of you may know of the somewhat ardent infatuation I have for the fall. For those of you who don't, allow me to explain. There is something about this particular season which is both comforting and stimulating in a way that no other season is. It is a season of death, but not of endings. It is, in many ways, a depiction of the beauty of surrender and the promise of rebirth--of accepting what cannot be controlled, all the while knowing that within the mystery there lies great promise. As the leaves drop from the trees and blanket the sidewalks, we can no longer ignore them. We are forced to think, in a way we never had to when they dangled above our heads, of their implications. As every student knows, the fall also signals the start of another school year and the blank slate of good intentions, of every "this year I will conquer procrastination!" There are also the less-intuitive appeals, like warm scarves and red cheeks, hot tea and chimney smoke. All in all I love its voice, its subtle reminer that, in the midst of turmoil, one can always find grace.

No comments: