Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Almost a month


So, I decided that since I'm am really not good at keeping touch with the people I love (and think about all the time, I promise!) I would create a space that you all could visit and thus know what is going on in my life.

For those of you who I haven't talked to in a long, long while...I am living in San Francisco for the fall semester. On August 28th I moved into the big, blue Victorian house (a renovated bed and breakfast, I should add) on Lyon and Fell across from the Panhandle of Golden Gate Park, along with 24 other students (usually at this point in the story, people say "It sounds like the Real World!"). The house is amazing and beautiful and I have my own clawfoot tub (which is has always been a secret fantasy of mine). I am rooming with a girl I met on a program in Italy, and it is a lot of fun to be reunited with her.

All 24 of us came here for the sole purpose of obtaining internships in the city (and maybe a little bit because San Francisco is really cool). The first two weeks were a mad rush of phone calls and orientations and interviews. It is a surreal kind of city with so much to take in, and it was fun to be able to ease into this life. We did some fun things as a group, like volunteer at St. Anthony's where we served and bused tables for homeless folks (or, as we like to say "people who live outside"). We also went to see Jersey Boys which I highly recommend!

I began my internship last Friday at Jossey-Bass, which is an "imprint" of Wiley publishing. I am working for four different people who are associated with all different aspects of the business, from editing to marketing. I have my own cubicle and computer and have really been treated like an employee. The building is really nice (though in a sketchy part of town), with tons of books everywhere and little nooks for sitting or meeting. I rather like the atmosphere. For the most part, I work on my own. The editors give me projects and I carry them out as best I can. I get to read manuscripts and send rejection letters to those who don't quite make the cut. Today I had to track down celebrities to send books to (popularity sells!). There are many aspects of this process (or what I know of it so far) that I love. The whole idea really--of creating books I mean--is so fascinating! But sometimes the little voice in my head (which usually isn't so little) kicks in, and I find myself unwittingly disappointed with some of the aspects--which are really more a reflection of our culture...which is a whole other blog for a whole other day. Can I just say...I hate the whole idea of sales.

All in all, I am learning a ton here. We are continually reading about and discussing tough issues, and I feel myself twisted and stretched in ways I never thought I could be. It's hard. But good.

Well, I have to run. But I promise to keep writing here. Thanks for all of your love and support!

Always,
Jenelle

1 comment:

Taylor said...

Nelle!!!! It is so good to hear about what you are doing, sweetie. I´m not going to lie, I am insanely jealous because you are doing exactly what I want to do. Any chance you would know about some internships that may be available there this summer?

I am so glad things are going well, love. I love you and miss you more than I can say! Can't wait to see you at Christmas!

Tay