Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hills and Valleys

Life is a funny little thing. Sometimes you think you have it all togehter and then WHAM!!!! you realize...there is no such thing as having it all together. Maybe it's not really our job to hold it all together after all. Maybe the best we can do is take a few leaps and trust that there is someone with a plan who will connect the dots.

I have realized that publishing is not for me. I am so glad I chose the internship with Jossey-Bass, because now I know that it is not something I want to pursue, which brings me one step further toward knowing what I DO want to pursue. I am now in an alteration process. I am hoping to split up my internship hours so that I can try something else along with what I am already doing. I don't think I want to pull out of publishing altogether. For one thing, I would feel waaayyy too guilty, and for another I think it will be really good experience to have. BUT, I am now looking at an organization called 826 Valencia which is a non-profit that works with children, teaching them to write and helping them to create stories, which the orgainzation then turns into books and publishes. Fun Fact: in order to occupy the space that 826 does, which is commercial, they have to put on a facade. So, 826 is ALSO a pirate supply store, serving the needs of all San Francisco's pirate population (interstingly enough, it's not really that far fetched...there actually are a few pirates here. I've seen them.) It's a really neat place, and I hope I have the opportunity to work there.

Soooo, while things may not always turn out the way we plan, every mishap is a lesson (which means it probably isn't really a mishap at all).

No comments: