So, here is wedding post #1: LOCATION.
We debated for a bit about whether to have the wedding in California or Flagstaff. In the end we decided Flagstaff was more "us", and are now crossing our fingers that friends and family will be forgiving and make the journey.
One of Trevor's only wedding requests was that we have the ceremony in our church. I had no qualms with that...the building is beautiful and we love our pastor. So, one half of the location planning was quite simple.
Searching for reception locations, however, I quickly discovered that, to do something truly authentic, it was necessary to pick an uncontrolled spot. This was confirmed after a meeting with a hotel coordinator who attempted to figure out how she could coordinate two weddings (mine and another) on the same day...and frowned at all of my "unusual" ideas. Excuse me for wanting to feel special.
After browsing the city website's list of public parks and foreseeing an unfortunate birthday-party feel, I finally found Riordan Mansion--a historical building tucked into a rustic, foresty corner of the beautiful NAU campus. After contacting and visiting the site, I was hooked. The back courtyard with its stone gate and lush greenery was the exact feel I was looking for. To boot, as part of the state park system, fees are almost non-existent. Perfect.
Riordan:


1 comment:
The location is beautiful, nelle! :)
Post a Comment