Wednesday, September 17, 2008

a day in the life

Conversation with real customer as it took place yesterday:

Customer: "I want to cash a check" (throws said check in my direction)

Me: "Great! Do you have your bank card with you?"

Customer: "I just want to cash a check! Why do you have to make it so damn hard! This is bull shit!"

...?

Ah, life, I am continually perplexed by thee.

Luckily, this is not typical. Most of my customers are friendly enough, and those who aren't are usually at least somewhat amusing. But every now and then a customer like the one above comes along and I wonder why God forgot to give some people feelings. But I am learning. I am learning to be less affected by people...or maybe that's the wrong way to say it. That sounds too indifferent. I guess what I mean is, I am learning not to let strange people's moods affect mine. I have no idea what made that customer so hateful and angry, but I have to understand that it was something outside of my control, and thus be able to let it go--maybe even try to better it a bit.

1 comment:

Granny Grunt said...

I can imagine the beautiful fall season in Flagstaff. Are you handling the cool weather OK? I'll check back with you on that questions about February.
Jenelle, you are so gifted with your writing skills, I wish you would attempt to write and get something published. Have you ever attempted to do fiction?