Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Martha Stewart Makes Me Feel Inadequate

...looking for a few holiday ideas, I picked up a couple Martha Stewart magazines. BIG mistake! Never have I felt so completely deflated. Why, you ask? Well, let me explain:

1.) In all the years I have considered myself a creative person, I have never handpainted wrapping paper for my Christmas gifts.

2.) Despite the endless batches of cookies made for friends and family, I have never used "only the finest ingredients" such as "Madagascar vanilla extract" or "imported Irish artisanal butter". In fact, if I had chosen these fine ingredients to mix into my chocolate chip cookie dough, my friends and (particularly) my family would likely have furrowed their brows and asked why I wasted so much money.

3.) It is a simply intimidating trying to emulate someone about whom it is said: "When Martha gives a caroling party, the sounds and flavors of the season meld in perfect harmony." I guess I just don't know enough people who can sing that well (sorry family). Not to mention, I can't seem to find any instructions on how to "meld harmony" into my mashed potatoes in any of my cookbooks.

I guess I have a few things to learn. Maybe that's why I keep reading, gathering all I can from this beacon of home entertainment. Martha is, after all, a good thing.

1 comment:

Granny Grunt said...

Welcome to the I HATE MARTHA STEWART CLUB.

You are your Grandmother's Granddaughter.

On the other hand, Pop subscribes and drools over every page.